Elohim

i don't know about you but every day when i wake up my thoughts begin racing immediately. i think about what the day holds in store and what i've got to accomplish. and because of the nature of my life--and i'm sure many of yours--there is often a sense of despair . . . because there is too much to do and what seems like not enough time to "do it". that's why for me starting the day "being" is key. i'm one of the people who needs a lot of downtime before i start racing through the day--otherwise i forget that i'm human . . . i can't do it all, and i don't have to. for me that means slowing down the racing thoughts by soaking myself in the bigger story . . . remembering that my life is connected to a much larger plan that God has for all of us. and my role is to play my part in the story. so, i try to start my days by resting my soul in my Creator, allowing Him to speak to me. how does that work? i've heard it works differently for everybody, but for me, i try to open myself to exploring God's voice through the pages of scripture. and a lot of what He says to me is revealed simply by reflecting on His name(s). today i'm doing that with a companion book called 'praying the names of God'. it rocks. the first name? Elohim, which is the Hebrew word for God that appears in the first sentence of the Bible i.e. "in the beginning God (Elohim) created the heavens and the earth." when i pray to Elohim i'm remembering that He is the Creator of all the universe, and that He is still creating right now, a new work in me, and all around me. in fact, though my world is chaotic and restless, Elohim is a God who orders the chaos and gives me peace even in the most overwhelming circumstances. i'm not sure what craziness you're going through today . . . health issues, financial pressure, family tensions, too much work to do, worrying about the future, or maybe  just feeling like you're alone--stuck inside yourself--and the only one who knows what you're going through is you. whatever chaos is in your life, i pray for you that you might learn to open yourself to Elohim--your Creator--who knows you and who will bring His loving design into your situation.  sounds a little mystical, but truly it's far more simple than all that. 

take some time to slow down, remind yourself that you are a "human being" NOT a "human doing". and as you sit for a few minutes in rest, listen to the silence and know that you are loved. who knows, maybe even say a short prayer "Elohim, thank you for creating me, please help me order the chaos of my life. amen."

No comments:

Followers